K12 Frequently Asked Questions:

Must I be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident?  Yes, this program requires that applicants must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Does the program require a clinical license to practice medicine?  Yes, this program requires applicants must have a clinical license to practice medicine, although you do not have to be an ophthalmologist/optometrist.
Are candidates with medical training only from outside US (without a US clinical license) or those with scientific doctoral (PhD) degrees (but with no medical degree) eligible for this program?  No, you must have a US clinical license, and you must have a MD/OD/DO degree to be eligible for this program.
Is this program only intended for career level post-residency/post-doctorate/post-fellowship?  Yes, although non-junior faculty who desire to transition to a primary research track and require career development mentorship may also be eligible.